Monday 8 February 2016

Can you hear me?

By Nyah Kauders

As I point my hand meekly at the at the barrier of self-confidence that surrounds around me, I feel hesitant to raise my voice as I try to contemplate the reason for why I have been put into this situation when I know that my voice is just as significant as everybody else’s…I ask myself frequently: “is it necessary that other people should weigh our voices down and laugh jubilantly at the isolation they have placed on us?” The answer I get may be a grin or a snigger or a laugh and the people who try to mute me also try to overpower me with their voice and therefore it turns into over innocence. Can we just blend these innovative ideas together and then we won’t be engulfed by this concrete wall in which my hand now doesn’t point meekly at but forms a fist in trying to obliterate this embarrassment of ourselves. Then we can free our voices to the world.

Nelson Mandela, Malala Yousafzai and Malcolm X will forever be a key attribute to the concept of raising our own voices. Standing strong, they proclaim out to the world their beliefs, knowing that not everyone, even though we are all the same, may share the same opinions. A chilling warmth of happiness melted away the frozen frame of humanity and leaked away the prejudice that we were facing and unveiled a new key. With extreme excitement we opened the defrosted chest with the key  and we unlocked the right to have a voice, equality, the right to have an opinion and -more than a third of governments (62 out of 160) locked up prisoners of conscience – people who were simply exercising their rights and freedoms.

A pang of annoyance at the repetition of these names occur on a few people as we don’t realise that we can be like them. We don’t have to cause a massive reaction like they did: as long as it makes you feel unique then why be scared. Self-consciousness, reluctance to try something new, pressure to follow the crowd prevents this age group to share innovation! Is this because there is a fear of the consequences?


‘I don’t care that people may protest against my perspectives. If they protest it shows that they heard my voice.’